Email is already nicely federated, but I think it's time for a change. Services like protonmail offer encryption between users, but you can't host your own instance. It would be awesome if there was a spec somewhere for a federated email service that defines
- email encryption between users
- ~~connection with activity pub? (What would this look like)~~ I mean some way to email the activity pub, ie: add comments via email
- compatibility with standard email users (if you send/receive to/from a user who does not have email v2 implemented it just uses normal features)
- maybe "smart attachments" for money transfers, calender invites, etc.
- somehow better support for email discussion groups
- this spec should be focused heavily on usage for humans instead of automated mailing, I expect html would not be defined.
I'm just spit balling here. Does anyone have any ideas? Does something like this exist?
cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/81992
> Resonate is a really cool co-op and they could really use some volunteers & users.
> I've been looking for a more ethical music streaming service since I discovered [Spotify and other streaming platforms are terrible for small artists](https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2021/03/18/spotify-artist-earnings-figures/). Only the top 3% of artists make $1000/yr and only the top 1% make more than $5000/yr. You'd have to be in the top 0.2% to actually earn a living of $50,000/yr on Spotify.
> Resonate is the only platform I've found that's doing something radically different. They have a stream to own model in which listeners pay artists directly about 1/4 of one cent for their first stream then the price increases exponentially with each stream until the 9th stream at which point the listener has paid ~$1.50usd. At that point the user can download the song for offline listening and never has to pay to stream that song again.
> Perhaps the coolest part is they are a co-op, 45% of governance weight is reserved for artist shares, 35% for listener shares, and only 20% for staff.
> Resonate is a small project that could use all the help it can get. If anyone knows of any other cool music platforms, I'd love to know about them, too!