(1/2) Lemmy does not allow too long post walls
**UPDATED 16/8/2020: Major edit, replaced closed source App Ops and Shizuku with AppOpsX (Free Open source) on F-Droid. ~~This guide is nearly FOSS supported now.~~**
**UPDATED 17/9/2020: MAJOR EDIT, replaced closed source Access Dots with Privacy Indicator (FOSS) on Izzy's F-Droid repo. This guide is completely FOSS.**
Hello! I am the founder of /r/privatelife . Finally my smartphone non root guide is back, and there are some big upgrades. I was taking time to test everything myself on my daily driver, so apologies for keeping everyone in the wait, but stability and ease of use is the important goal to strive in my playbook. Privacy must be accessible to maximum amount of people without being annoying or tedious.
**A kind request to share this guide to any privacy seeker.**
#User and device requirement
* ANY Android 9+ device
* knowledge of how to copy-paste commands in Linux or Mac Terminal/MS-DOS Command Prompt (for ADB, it is very simple, trust me)
#Why not Apple devices?
iPhone [does not allow you to have privacy](https://gist.github.com/iosecure/357e724811fe04167332ef54e736670d) due to its blackbox nature, and is simply a false marketing assurance by Apple to you. Recently, an unpatchable hardware flaw was [discovered](https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/01/new-unpatchable-exploit-allegedly-found-on-apples-secure-enclave-chip-heres-what-it-could-mean/) in Apple's T1 and T2 "security" chips, rendering Apple devices critically vulnerable.
17/9/2020: [Apple gave the FBI access to the iCloud account of a protester **accused** of setting police cars on fire](https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-fbi-icloud-investigation-seattle-protester-arson-2020-9).
Also, [they recently dropped plan for encrypting iCloud backups after FBI complained](https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-fbi-icloud-exclusive/exclusive-apple-dropped-plan-for-encrypting-backups-after-fbi-complained-sources-idUSKBN1ZK1CT). They also collect and sell data [quite a lot](https://i.imgur.com/n8Bk0bA.jpg). Siri still records conversations 9 months after Apple [promised not](https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/20/apple_siri_transcriptions/) to do it. Apple Mail app is vulnerable, yet Apple stays in [denial](https://9to5mac.com/2020/04/27/iphone-mail-vulnerabilities-2/).
Also, [Apple sells certificates to third-party developers that allow them to track users](https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/apples-hypocritical-defense-data-privacy/581680/), [The San Ferdandino shooter publicity stunt was completely fraudulent](https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/internet-privacy/one-fbis-major-claims-iphone-case-fraudulent), and [Louis Rossmann dismantled Apple's PR stunt "repair program"](https://invidio.us/watch?v=rwgpTDluufY).
Also, Android's open source nature is starting to pay off in the long run. Apple 0-day exploits are far [cheaper](https://www.wired.com/story/android-zero-day-more-than-ios-zerodium/) to do than Android.
**ALL users must follow these steps before "for nerdy users" section.**
**Firstly, if your device is filled to the brim or used for long time, I recommend backing up your data and factory resetting for clean slate start.**
* **Sign out all your** Google and Huawei/Samsung/other phonemaker **accounts** from your device so that Settings-->Accounts do not show any sign-ins **except WhatsApp/Telegram**
* Install ADB on your Linux, Windows or Mac OS machine, simple guide: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
* Use ["Universal Android Debloater"](https://gitlab.com/W1nst0n/universal-android-debloater) to easily debloat your bloated phone.
NOTE: Samsung users will lose Samsung Pay, as Samsung has been caught and declares they sell this data: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-pay-new-privacy-policy-your-data-sold/
* **Make DIY camera covers**, for front camera notch use a tiny appropriate-sized thin opaque plastic cutout and use an invisible tape to stick it in place, replace every month (cost: tape roll and one minute of your time per month). [**My rear camera cover**](https://i.postimg.cc/T37Qvc52/image.jpg)
* Install **F-Droid app store** from [here](https://f-droid.org/en/)
* Install **NetGuard** app firewall (see NOTE) from F-Droid and set it up with [privacy based DNS like Uncensored DNS or Tenta DNS or AdGuard DNS]
NOTE: NetGuard with [Energized Ultimate](https://block.energized.pro/ultimate/formats/hosts.txt) HOSTS file with any one of the above mentioned DNS providers is the ultimate solution.
NOTE: Set DNS provider address in Settings -> Advanced settings --> VPN IPv4, IPv6 and DNS
* In F-Droid store, open Repositories via the 3 dot menu on top right and add the following links below:
Go back to F-Droid store home screen, and hit the update button beside the 3 dot menu.
###LIST OF APPS TO GET
* Get **Firefox Preview** web browser from F-Droid (install uBlock Origin addon inside ([if technically advanced, try doing this](https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-medium-mode))). Also get **Firefox Klar** if you like a separate incognito browser.
* Get **Aurora Store** from F-Droid for apps from Play Store without actually using Play Store, use Anonymous option to sign in
* for 3rd party APKs source them only from **APKMirror** OR **APKPure** OR **APKMonk**, quite trusted, BUT **TRY AND AVOID IT IF POSSIBLE**
* Get **Privacy Indicator** from F-Droid for **iOS 14 like camera/mic dot indicator feature**
* Get **OSMAnd+** from F-Droid or **Qwant Maps inside web browser** for maps and/or print physical maps if you live and travel in one or two states or districts.
NOTE: Qwant Maps has better search results than OSMAnd+
* Get **PilferShush Jammer** from F-Droid to block microphone (use this in malls, restaurants or such public places if you can to prevent beacon tracking)
* Get **OpenBoard** (user friendly) OR **AnySoftKeyboard** (nerd friendly) from F-Droid instead of Google GBoard, Microsoft SwiftKey et al, they are closed source keylogger USA spyware
* Get **FTP Server (Free)** from F-Droid and **FileZilla on computer** for computer-to-phone internet less file sharing
NOTE: for phone-computer sync or sharing, can TRY **KDE Connect**, available for Android, Windows, Linux
* Get **TrebleShot** instead of SHAREIt for phone to phone file sharing
* Get **K-9 Mail** or **FairEmail** as e-mail client
* Get **NewPipe** for YouTube watching, or YouTube in Firefox Preview/Klar
* Get **QKSMS** from F-Droid as SMS client app
* Get **Shelter** from F-Droid to sandbox potential apps that you must use (eg WhatsApp or Discord or Signal)
* Get **SuperFreezZ** from F-Droid to freeze any apps from running in background
* Get **Librera Pro** from F-Droid for PDF reader
* Get **ImgurViewer** from F-Droid for opening reddit/imgur/other image links without invasive tracking
* Get **InstaGrabber** from F-Droid for opening Instagram profiles or pictures without invasive tracking (seems like a revived fork is [here](https://github.com/austinhuang0131/instagrabber/releases), thanks u/sad_plan )
* Get **GreenTooth** from F-Droid to set Bluetooth to disable after you have used it
* Get **Material Files** or **Simple File Manager** from F-Droid for file manager app
* Get **ImagePipe** from F-Droid if you share lot of pictures, and want to clear EXIF metadata snooping (often photos contain phone model, location, time, date)
* Get **Note Crypt Pro** from F-Droid for encrypted note taking app
* Get **Vinyl Music Player** from F-Droid for music player
* Get **VLC** from F-Droid for video player
###CRITICAL FOR CLIPBOARD, LOCATION AND OTHER APP FUNCTION BLOCKING
I would say this is one of the critical improvements in my guide, and will solve the problem of clipboard and coarse location snooping among other things.
AppOpsX is a free, open source app that allows to manage granular app permissions not visible normally, with the help of ADB authorisation without root. This app can finely control what granular information apps can access on your phone, which is not shown in app permissions regularly accessible to us.
Now that you would have set up your phone with installing apps, now is a good time to perform this procedure.
Step 1: Install **AppOpsX** from F-Droid. (https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.zzzmode.appopsx/)
Step 2: Plug phone to computer, and enable USB debugging in Settings --> Developer Options (you probably already did this in the starting of the guide)
Step 3: Keep phone plugged into computer until the end of this procedure! Open AppOpsX app.
Step 4: On computer, type commands in order:
```adb tcpip 5555```
```adb shell sh /sdcard/Android/data/com.zzzmode.appopsx/opsx.sh &```
Step 5: Now open "AppOpsX" app, and:
* disable "read clipboard" for apps except your messengers, notepad, office suite, virtual keyboard, clipboard monitor apps et al.
NOTE: Most apps that have text field to copy/paste text require this permission.
* disable "modify clipboard" for every app except for your virtual keyboard or office suite app or clipboard monitor/stack special apps.
* disable "GPS", "precise location", "approximate location" and "coarse location" for every app except your maps app (Firefox and OSMAnd+)
(2/2) in comment below.