##### Disclaimer: I know that being a developer is hard, I'm not trying to say that people should start doing these ideas to please my desires. I just thought it was fun to have a list of ideas that could improve the libre software community and these are some of them that I would really love to see. If you have some other Ideas contribute as well, and if you are a developer and you are looking for something to do but don't know what, you may gain some inspiration from here.
**Projects that do not exist:**
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to DeepL. *Details: I know there are already some libre translators, but I will not stop using DeepL until there's something as good as it.*
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to [Genius](https://genius.com/).
*Details: It's a website where users create community based lyrics for their favourite artists and can create annotations and add metadata.*
- ~~Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Goodreads. *Details: It's a website where you keep a log of what you've read, what you want to read and what you are reading, you can also rate books.*~~ [Here](https://github.com/mouse-reeve/bookwyrm) is an alternative.
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Grammarly. *Details: It's a set of applications or add-ons that help you with typos and it will improve your text.*
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Letterboxd. *Details: t's a website where you keep a log of what you've seen and what you want to see, you can also rate movies and TV shows.*
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Pixabay. *Details: It's a website where you can get images to use without copyright restrictions. I know CC has a website for this but their content is really poor.*
- ~~Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Push notifications.~~ [Here](https://github.com/gotify) is an alternative.
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to ReCaptcha.
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Shazam. *Details: It's an application that tells you what you are listening if you let it listen to it*
- Libre and privacy respecting alternative to Unsplash. *Details: It's a website where you can upload and use photos of people that are licensed under a license that allows for use under most circumstances for free.*
- Libre and privacy respecting mouse gesture and ~~radial menu~~ to an operative system level. *Similar to [Gesturefy](https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gesturefy/) and ~~[CompassMenu](https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/compass_menu)~~ but in a way that it can work in any application. Look [this](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItTqnTsVjA) video for more details since this is probably a really deep and hard to explain topic. [Here](https://github.com/Schneegans/Fly-Pie/) is an alternative for the radial menu.
- Libre and privacy respecting website where to upload and download 3D models licensed under a CC.
- Libre and privacy respecting website where to play a lot of different card games. *Details: Similar to Lichess. I am satisfied if you only can play poker until it gains some traction.*
- Fully libre and privacy respecting alternative to [Xayn](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xayn.search&hl=en_US&gl=US). *Details: It's an application that recommends you articles based on the input you give to the algorithm. Some of its [code](https://github.com/xaynetwork/xaynet) it's liberated on GitHub, but not all of it.*
- Libre , decentralized and privacy respecting alternative to Imgur. *Details: It would be great if this could work along the fediverse, for example people would host images there instead of here on Lemmy or Mastodon, making these platforms much more lightweight.*
- Libre, privacy respecting and not self hostable visual bookmark manager. *Details: There are a few alternatives here and there, maybe, but they are really awful looking and generally you need to self host. I don't know how to self host and it would probably make my machine slower, I would prefer something that someone's alreay hosting. [This](https://github.com/Colllect/Colllect) is exactly like what I'm looking for, but they haven't launched it yet since they don have enough resources, it could die, too, maybe.
**Projects that exist but have some issues:**
- A set of common android apps. *Details: I know there are a are a lot of basic Android applications to replace the default ones that come with your phone but I feel someone should create a set that align the aesthetics of them to be coherent with each other. I know Tibor Kaputa does this, but in my opinion I would like something that looks a bit more modern and that has more features, since theirs are based around minimalism. For example, the camera application does not have as many options as my default one, etc.*
- Libre, privacy respecting, aesthetic and functional map application. *Details: I haven't been able to find a working application to see maps, I generally end up using DDG's in browser map because of this. The only one that worked was one calle Maps which was a fork of a really [good one](https://github.com/mapsme/omim) (but it was filled with proprietary and other [shady stuff](https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/85) ) but it stopped working after some time. I mention the aesthetic parts because I want to be able to recommend this to people who wouldn't use it otherwise if it looks like something really "primitive".*
- Revive [waifu2x](https://github.com/nagadomi/waifu2x/) as a serious project. *Details: I really love this website, but I really hate the whole idea of the waifu thing, it is misogynous and I feel like unprofessional.*
- Libre, privacy respecting and highly customizable home launcher. *Details: I know there are a ton of home launchers for Android, but most of them focus on minimalism or simplicity, I don't want that, I want a super customizable full of features application that can let me do almost anything. The closest to this was [Lawnchair](https://github.com/LawnchairLauncher/Lawnchair) which is dead, luckily [Omega](https://github.com/otakuhqz/Omega) launcher exists now and it looks like it'll be able to achieve this, but it's not there yet.*
- Revive [AquaDroid](https://github.com/z3r0c00l-2k/AquaDroid) *Details: It is a really beautiful application but it has some bugs, not so many features and development has halted.*
IMO if you’re starting with your project is understandable, they seem to have a shit ton of money put on it, thought, so that may make it a bit unforgivable, but things can change.